Home

Richland Center Named Among Safest Cities In Wisconsin

Richland Center has been named the 13th safest city in the state of Wisconsin.

On average, violent crimes made up less than 2.5% of all crimes reported by the state’s twenty safest cities, according to the most recent FBI crime report. Additionally, all cities reported less than one violent crime per 1,000 people in 2016, and the top five reported zero. This is especially impressive considering that nationally, violent crime increased 3% from 3.85 to 3.97 incidents per 1,000 people from 2015 to 2016.

In addition to nominal violent crime, the cities featured also have relatively low rates of property crime. In fact, on average these cities reported 70% less property crime than the nation as a whole. The two safest cities in Wisconsin, Freedom and Beaver Dam Township, had the state’s lowest rates of both violent crime and property crime. Richland Center, with a population of 4,980, reported .20 per 1,000 in violent crimes and 12.85 per 1,000 in property crimes. The total crime reported in Richland Center was 1.56% violent with the remainder 98.44% of crime being property. Other cities in Wisconsin making the top 20 were: #3 – Bayside; #4 - Fox Point; #5 - Sauk Prairie; #6 – Hartland; #7 - Grand Rapids; #8 – Hobart-Lawrence; #9 - Elm Grove; #10 – Cedarburg; #11 – Slinger; #12 - Geneva Town; #14 – Muskego; #15 - Oconomowoc Town; #16 – Kewaskum; #17 – Mequon; #18 - Sheboygan Falls; #19 – Delafield; and #20 – Sturtevant.

Like the twenty cities on the list, Wisconsin exemplifies a deep commitment to fighting crime and caring for crime victims. Not only was The Badger State the first in the nation to implement a crime victim bill of rights, it’s also adopted a constitutional amendment to ensure victims are kept up-to-date about their accuser’s case. Taking victim advocacy one step further, the Wisconsin Senate recently passed Marsy’s Law which aims to strengthen crime victims’ rights under the Wisconsin constitution.